Sunday, January 28, 2024

Social Listening: Pendleton

    What's the cloth?

    Pendleton Woolen Mills is a semi-popular clothing brand that advertises western style wear and western style design. they are a company that has been around 6 generations that originated in Pendleton Oregon.  

    Why this brand interests me, is... well I was looking for inspiration, while I was walking around my house, for what to write about. With no ideas flowing into my brain I start to get weary. Out of desperation I get on my knees, look up, and cry out "LORD GIVE ME GUIDANCE!!!" After my frustration was announced, I drop my head, and my cry was quickly answered. Low and behold a dirty Pendleton shirt I bought this last summer was laying on the ground covered in dirt. Quickly, Inspiration and motivation consume me as I begin to work. (None of this is true. I choose it because I was wearing one of their shirts when I started this post)

    
    Pendleton Is a company with a limited media presence but what's commented on their media outlets lets me know that generally people think that this company is high quality and iconic.

 One brand follower and and plant enthusiast says "I'll have one of each please" @sunnyplantlover in response to a clip showing off the whole store.

@finexcookware says "Classics for sure." In response to a flannel showcase. 

   Heritage and Tradition:

    Pendleton Woolen Mills is a company that prides itself on being old school when it comes to how they craft things. They are a high quality option for western style clothing and blankets with great designs. There mission is to create quality craftmanship, and connect generations. They value community and giving back.

    Although this brand is viewed favorably among people, it's seemingly mostly among the people who can afford it.  @erkgrza777 says a bit, in fact he's not to happy at what the cost is for these outfits. Luckily for me I got my shirts on a killer sale maybe he should do the same.


Another fan @woodchuck460 comments on a promotion Pendleton did with Stanley when they released a western style mug. Its's safe to say that although Stanley's proposition is high quality wear they're not perfect. 

@oakferncrafting responds to another special release of a mug promotion that Pendleton released with there brand complimenting them on a good job with the design.



What about it:

    Pendleton Woolen Mills is a company that is trying to sell you what high quality hand crafted iconic merchandise feels like. The posts they post on Instagram make it look minimalistic and yet gives an expensive and quality vibe about it. They showcase there shops, advertise Stanley's, and coffee related products. They 100% attempt to target and appeal to any women from young to old.

Marketing:

    Pendleton Mills is a company I would say is somewhat remarkable. They don't target a broad audience, although they attempt to. But they are a premium in a niche market. A lot of people who love western wear also really like Pendleton because of there high quality and iconic designs. They stay true to who they are and don't stray far off of what they sell. They don't try to be remarkable with what they do, they just are remarkable with how they do it. The marketing challenge that the brand faces is that it's not a brand that everyone wants. Not everyone wants western wear and not everyone has lots of money to spend on clothing. If they were to attempt to sell to those outside they're niche they would be meet with either decent success (for sure in Oregon because it's "local") or relative failure. They don't do a whole lot to influence their social media presence as it seems like their brands relies on mostly word to mouth for advertisement.

    Pendleton does respond a little bit to customers mostly for customer support questions they don't really give in to the demands or wish's of customers. They do sales promotions quite often that many customers are excited about because of how pricy the brand is.

    If I was the brand manager I would probably respond and upload a bit more often then how the company itself does it overall. It just seems a bit dry on how the company interacts with it's customers. Although they do upload quality posts showcasing their product.  

What was learned:

    Something I learned from this assignment is that really niche companies don't need a very heavy social media marketing presence to be great. They just need to target the needs of a group rather than sell them a product or service that's already in plenty. There are loads of examples of business innovation that attempts to fix and appeal to the problems and beliefs of people who are different or into hobbies. What's remarkable is what's new, but I learned an example of what's remarkable is what is still being done. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Listening: Pendleton

    What's the cloth?     Pendleton Woolen Mills is a semi-popular clothing brand that advertises western style wear and western style d...